Search engine optimization (SEO) plays a critical role in driving traffic and generating qualified leads for businesses. In today’s digital age, B2B companies rely heavily on expert SEO strategies to increase their online visibility and generate leads from potential customers. However, merely optimizing your website for search engines is not enough to generate leads. You need to know how to accurately collect lead information, create targeted and engaging content and provide accurate product or service data that resonates with your target audience. With lead generation efforts the goal is not to just drive more traffic but to drive the right traffic that leads to more revenue for your business. In this guide for lead generation using SEO, we will explore the best practices and techniques for using SEO to generate qualified leads and help your B2B business grow.
Still Have Questions?
SEO is a job for an expert. Let us help you amplify your digital strategy today.
What is SEO at a Basic Level?
SEO is a group of strategies used to increase the quantity and quality of traffic to a website through organic search engine results. SEO involves optimizing various elements of a website, including its content, structure, and technical features, to make it more attractive to search engines and users. By improving a website’s SEO, businesses can attract more targeted traffic, generate more leads, and ultimately increase their revenue and growth potential.
Why is SEO Important for Lead Generation Businesses?
SEO is not only for ecommerce sites. B2B sites can leverage SEO to properly target potential customers and generate high-quality leads at a lower cost than other forms of marketing and advertising. SEO can support your lead generation efforts by:
- Improved Visibility: When a website ranks higher in search engine results for key phrases, it is more likely to be seen by potential customers, leading to increased website traffic and ultimately more leads.
- Increased Credibility: When a website appears at the top of search results, it is perceived as a more credible and trustworthy source of information.
- Enhanced Lead Generation: Through site optimizations and content generation for targeted keywords, businesses can generate qualified leads that are more likely to convert into revenue.
How does SEO affect lead generation?
Effective organic search strategies that include the proper keyword targeting mix, high-quality content and a user-friendly website, businesses can generate a steady flow of qualified leads and ultimately grow their bottom line.
How to Measure SEO for Lead Generation?
Google Analytics is a powerful tool for tracking website traffic and is critical for tracking organic-driven leads. Google Analytics (including the newest iteration – GA4) provides you the ability to track SEO efforts and how those are directly or indirectly corresponding to lead generation efforts. When measuring the effectiveness of SEO for lead generation, you should look at the number of “conversion events” associated to traffic from organic mediums.
Many SEO professionals will record traffic or rank increases but will fail to report on true lead growth. As a business that relies on lead generation to grow revenue, this should be the number one metric to determine the success of your SEO efforts.
By regularly monitoring your organic SEO leads/ conversions in Google Analytics, you can gain valuable insights into the effectiveness of your SEO strategy and make data-driven decisions to optimize your website for better lead generation
Tips to Leverage SEO for Lead Generation
Set Up Your Website to Properly Collect Leads
Setting up your website to collect proper lead data is the first step in the process because you will not be able to determine the successes or failures of your organic search campaigns until you have accurate lead data.
- Use Lead Forms to Collect Information: Lead forms are a valuable tool for collecting information from potential customers that are visiting your site from organic search or other mediums. By including lead forms on your website, you can capture valuable information about your target audience, such as their contact information, interests, and pain points. To use lead forms effectively for lead generation, it is essential to keep them simple and easy to use. Start by identifying the information you need from potential customers to qualify them as leads, and only include those fields in your lead form. Limiting the number of fields you include can help reduce friction and increase the likelihood of visitors completing the form.
- Track with GA4: Google Analytics 4 is the newest version of analytics and it can be used to not only track leads from lead forms but will also attribute leads to specific mediums, pages and demographic measurements. Make sure to have GA4 properly set up and mark conversion events properly for tracking.
- Provide links and CTAs: Once your lead forms are set and GA4 is tracking, you should start to incorporate call-to-actions and internal links to those forms to drive site traffic to complete these critical actions. All pages on the site should direct users to some action that drives them deeper into the sales funnel.
Optimize for Key Products/Services
SEO tends to be hyper-focused on traffic and search volume but when it comes to lead generation efforts traffic shouldn’t be the main priority. The number one priority for lead generation is driving people to your website when they are at different stages in the buying process. A product or service page should be optimized to target consumers that know what they are looking for and are ready to buy. Many times these are low-volume, specific phrases that may not drive lots of traffic but will drive more conversions.
These solution pages should target buying focused terms like “xyz software” or “software for nonprofits that provide reviews”; phrases that directly describe your product or service offering. This way you gather consumers that are ready to buy.
Note: Don’t forget your lead forms and CTAs on these pages. Collect those leads!
Build Visibility for Higher Volume Opportunities
Once your product pages are strong, then you can set your sites on higher volume. Long-form content, whether it be in the form of blogs, articles or static pages can be used to provide educational and informational content to capture more traffic and more eyes on the site. It’s important to know that most long-form blogs are not great leads generators because they tend to cast a wider net than your target demographic. The pages with high-volume targets should be used to gather traffic and push people to product pages to get them deeper into the sales funnel.
Organic search tools such as SEMrush and SEOmonitor can provide valuable insights into what online competitors are doing and where there are opportunities in the market. This information can be leveraged to help B2B businesses develop effective digital strategies to generate more online leads. Data provided by these tools can help businesses identify gaps in their own content and SEO strategies. By leveraging these insights and taking action to improve their SEO and content strategies, B2B businesses can generate more targeted traffic, increase their conversion rates, and ultimately drive more sales.
Work with Other Digital Marketing Efforts to Increase Leads
Organic search should be a part of your overall digital marketing mix for the strongest lead generation impacts. A comprehensive digital marketing strategy might include email marketing, social media marketing, paid search, display advertising and/or content marketing in addition to SEO. By aligning these efforts and optimizing them for the same demographics and with the same goals, businesses can create a cohesive and consistent online presence that resonates with potential customers. Additionally, by incorporating calls-to-action (CTAs) and lead forms into these digital marketing efforts, businesses can encourage visitors to take the next step in the buyer’s journey and convert into leads.
Incorporating SEO into your lead generation strategy can have a significant impact on your business’s growth and success. By optimizing your website and content for relevant keywords and phrases, you can improve your online visibility, attract more qualified leads, and increase your chances of converting them into paying customers. However, SEO is a long-term strategy that requires ongoing effort and attention. By regularly monitoring and analyzing your website’s performance, making data-driven decisions, and adapting to changes in search engine algorithms and user behavior, you can continue to generate more leads and achieve sustainable growth over time. By following the tips and best practices outlined in this article, you can get started on the path to generating more leads with SEO and unlocking your business’s full potential.
Ready to Kick off Your Lead Generation Efforts?
Ready to Kick off Your Lead Generation Efforts?